The nature in Salla gives hikers the opportunity to enjoy diverse terrain ranging from fells to lush rivers and expansive forests. The total length of the walking and hiking trails in Salla municipality exceeds 300 kilometres, including the UKK trail that passes through Salla. It is also possible to hike smaller parts of many of the trails rather than the full distance. Some of the trails are circular, while others are out-and-back trails.
Each trail has its own story and secrets. You can read about them beforehand online and then feel them come alive as you hike the trail.
Our recommendations for families with children:
- The circular route around Lake Keselmäjärvi, which can even be walked with pushchairs.
- Ämmin polku (Grandma’s Trail), easy enough to bring your grandma along.
- Salmijoen kuru (Salmijoki gully), you can get as close to 800 metres from the gully by car via Kemijärventie/Rojulantie.
- Karhutunturi hiking trail, with magnificent views of the wilderness of northern Salla.
Our recommendations for day walks:
- Erakon polku (The Hermit’s Path) in Kaunisharju.
- Hetehaltijan lumous (The Gnome’s Enchantment), which circles the Salla fells.
- The trail that goes up to the beautiful landscapes of Ruuhitunturi fell.
- Kanjonin kurkkaus (The Canyon Circuit) in Oulanka National Park.
Our recommendations for multi-day hikes:
- Tuntsa Trail for those who wish to follow in the footsteps of A.E. Järvinen
- Keroharju Trail in Oulanka National Park
- And of course the famous Karhunkierros Trail
More information on trails:
* Trail descriptions for all classified trails are available via the menu on the right.
The walking and hiking trails in Salla have been officially classified as easy, intermediate or demanding based on factors such as elevation changes, the type of terrain and signposts.
Download the Hiking Map for the area.
We recommend that you obtain a proper map of the area. The trails in the Sallatunturi fell centre and Salla village centre areas are shown in the separate trail map and the other trails are shown in the Salla outdoor recreation map. Both maps are sold by local tourist operators such as the Tourist Info, the reception desks of accommodation providers and Salla Reindeer Park.
Hiking map for mobile devices
The hiking trails in Salla are available for mobile devices via the Citynomadi application, which allows you to monitor your progress on the trails. Nomadi is a mobile application that gives you access to Salla’s skiing, hiking and cycling trails created on the Citynomadi service. The Citynomadi service can also be used via the browser application on a mobile device, but this requires a mobile data connection.
In the wilderness of Salla you are out of the range of Internet access most of the time. However, the Nomadi app allows you to download the trail map ahead of time. This means you can access the service even without a reliable mobile data connection.
Instructions for downloading the application and the trails in Salla >>
Symbols used for marking:
Blue circle = easy trail
Red square = slightly demanding trail
Black diamond = demanding trail